Thursday, September 29, 2011

TFM: Marillion Brave


I’ve been a sucker for concept albums for a long time; the idea of a rock opera, something that tells a story via a cycle of songs has appeals to the storyteller in me.

Arriving in 1994 Brave, by the UK band Marillion tells the story of a woman found wandering on a bridge in Bath with no memory of who she was or any details of her past.

    It’s a quite reflective album for the most part, dripping in imagery. The lyrics don’t explicitly flesh out the story, but rather provide a mood and feeling of the experience. It’s the kind of album that needs to be listened to and revisited several times. 


On the Web: marillion.com
Wiki: Marillion
       : Brave

2 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Late work for Marillion, wasn't this? Another item I think I've heard a piece of, but haven't gotten back to...I'd certainly trade some of my listens to anything by the Moody Blues (certainly after the first album, GO NOW, when they could still write a fun pop song or pick a decent song to cover) to have heard a bit more of this...

Iren said...

Todd, yeah this was a later work, when the band was reinventing themselves post Fish. I picked up the follow up Afraid of Sunlight which I like, but never did get around to any more recent albums...