Thursday, June 11, 2009

W.I.P.: Show and Tell

I'm working on a short story that I am hoping will help me get back on track with a novel length story I have been working on. I have written the first section as it happens, showing the story as it flows. I want to tell the back story in the second section and then show the end of the events in the third. My question is as a reader are you put off by stories that flip back and forth from showing and telling? Thoughts, Comments, Spare Grammar Rules?

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

The only thing that puts me off is if there are too many POVs. Then I feel like the writer is jerking me around.

Iren said...

The story is told by the same narrator all the way though, it's just that in the second part he is telling the cliff notes version of what lead up to the action of the first and second parts.

Paul D Brazill said...

I love the jumping around in time thing. Go for it!