Tuesday, June 30, 2009

6/2009 Playlist

In 2006 I started keeping monthly playlists in my iTunes where I added songs that had caught my attention that month. When the month is over, I file the old list, start a new one. I joined Mog.com (www.mog.com/iren) in June of 2006 and started writing a summary and/or commentary for each track, sometimes posting a related video as well. As time passed Mog started to wane, and I decided to branch out my posting of the list. At first I added it to my multiply page, my gather page, my Myspace page, but all of that got to be too much. As of 21 June 2009 (my 3 year anaversery on Mog) I have officially let that account go idle. From here on out I will only post this list on my blog (www.restlesskind.blogspot.com). If you visit my Mog page on the right hand side there is a widget that links to all the past entries from June 2006 to May 2009 , if you want to go back and check them out. Thanks to everyone who has been reading along and feel free to post comments, questions or what ever in the comments section. Enjoy Eric Reanimator.

A Machine for Loving by Iggy Pop from Preliminaires
www.iggypop.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iggy_Pop
I never really know how these play lists are going to work out, sometimes I hear something and just drag and drop it into the list, sometimes there is something that is stuck in my head and sometimes I don't really know why I am adding something. This is a great track from the new Iggy album, which I haven't heard a lot of, but it really seems to fit nicely with the unexpected theme of this month, Heroes, Love, Death, and the End. The song is simple in the way it intones a the truths about love and dogs of all things.

Snake In The Radio by Mark Pickerel & His Praying Hands from Snake in the Radio
www.myspace.com/markpickerelandhisprayinghands
Speaking of death the title track from the first of the Praying Hands album wormed it's way into my brain, with pointed take on the music industry and specifically the radio Apocalypse that was the Clinton backed and signed Telecom act of 1996-- I'm not going to get started on that one now, but do your self a favor and look it up. In a month where the King of Pop and a underground hero passed away on the same day, it's fair to ask, what happened to the radio?

A Nation Fit For Heroes by The Damned from So, Who's Paranoid?
www.officialdamned.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damned
Throw Away Heroes by The Hellacopters from High Visibility
www.hellacopters.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hellacopters
No More Heroes by The Stranglers from D.I.Y.: Anarchy In the UK - UK Punk I (1976-77)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stranglers
www.stranglers.net/
This was a batch of songs about heroes their role in our lives-- and they are all catchy tunes that should be screaming across the airwaves. I want to point out The Hellacopters tune especially as it's really about the flash in the pan one hit wonder types of heroes.


Born To Lose by The Heartbreakers from D.I.Y.: Blank Generation - The New York Scene (1975-1978)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heartbreakers
Born To Lose by Ted Daffan's Texans from Columbia Country Classics (The Golden Age) Volume 1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Daffan
Born To Lose by Bouncing Souls from Maniacal Laughter
www.bouncingsouls.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bouncing_Souls
One thing about heroes, at some point they are gonna lose. It's simple, you play you win and you lose, and these three songs really about that, and going on in the face of those losses. The Heartbreakers Born to Lose is an original tune, about the grind of life and in the words of Social D (who most likely took them from somewhere else) being Born to Lose and Destined to Fail. Ted Daffin is the classic country/folk/blues tune that is better known, it's right up there with all the great Hank Williams tunes about the loss of love. The Bouncing Souls tune is a punked up version of the Daffin tune, only it has a edge and snear that screams I'm going to play anyway.

Neverland by The Damned from Grave Disorder
www.officialdamned.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damned
I didn't think the Damned would end up on this list as often as they did, but when Michael Jackson passes on, my natural thought is of this song about Jackson and his life. Released in 2001 this is one of the best of the later day tunes The Damned have recorded, with it's pointed, but also questioning lyrics. I don't think that there was anything mean or hostile about this song, just trying to understand more than anything else.

Just Call Me Sky by Naz Nomad And The Nightmares (The Damned) from Give Daddy The Knife Cindy
www.officialdamned.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damned
Can't Seem To Make You Mine by The Ramones from Acid Eaters
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramones
www.officialramones.com/

Quick-- Michael Jackson and _____ died on the same day. If you answered Sky Saxon you win. What you never heard of Sky? He was the singer in one of the great 60s Garage Punk bands The Seeds. They had two big hits-- Pushing to Hard and Can't Seem To Make You Mine. Along with Love they were one of the IT bands of the Sunset Strip scene, along with The Doors and all of that late 60s psych blues stuff. I picked these songs because the Ramones cover was the first time I heard a Seeds song, and the Naz Nomad tune is a tribute to Sky. There is a lot of info about Sky Saxon and the Seeds on line, I suggest if you are at all interested you check out:
www.skysunlightsaxon.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Saxon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seeds

Thoughts, comments, spare change?

No comments: