Friday, June 27, 2008

Blankets by Craig Thompson

Shelfari (http://www.shelfari.com/o1518111491) review for

Blankets by Craig Thompson

There are some things that I really liked about this book, and some stuff that I really didn't. Over all it's a worthwhile read, it deals with issues that I don't often see in print let alone comics... young adults who have grown up in a world that's sheltered in a way that reality won't acknowledge. I also feel like this addresses the issue of young people how grow up in religious families, and fall away from those values, in large part because they are not the values of the generation, or the society that they are trying to navigate. This falling away isn’t in that pyrotechnic blow out with lots of screaming and yelling, as much as it’s a slow passage of missing church here, stop praying there, seeing rated R movies, drinking a few beers… and once your at college, all bets are off. .. that said I think that Thompson's previous work, Good bye Chunky Rice has a much more emotional core, and while as a reader I don’t really look for a rehash of the previous work, I am still looking for something that touches me in the same way, that give me that same connection, and I really didn’t feel that Blankets did that…

No comments: