Thursday, March 31, 2011

Final Thursday Music: Bruce Woolly & The Camera Club

I am one of those rockfiends who likes to check out the friends, peers and cohorts of bands that look to for my fix. Bruce Woolly co-wrote a couple of notable tunes with one Mr. Horn and on Mr. Downes, also know as the Buggles. Video Killed the Radio Star and Clean, Clean the tunes in question were included on the Buggles first album, which if you only know their hit is chocked full or other electro pop numbers that often deal with the darker side of the beautiful world of tomorrow.

On their one album (English Garden in the UK, Bruce Woolly & The Camera Club in the USA) Woolly and his band, produced a more New Wave/ Power Pop/ rock take on the kinds of material that the Buggles also produced. More Retro than Futuristic, Woolly has more human, rawer sound than the Buggles while still having the skeptical view of the future. It is a little thin sound wise, but that is part if it’s charm.

The CD issue of the album can be had for $$$ on Amazon, but I was never so interested that I would pay that much for a copy. However, while poking around my local record shop I found an LP copy of the record for $5. It’s one of those albums that I have always been interested in and when I saw the cover I knew that I needed to pick it up.

Video Killed the Radio Star and Clean, Clean sound more rock then the versions most of us are familiar with. The rest of the tunes are solid, late 80s power pop tunes. I think the record has aged well, and that over 30 years later it is ripe for rediscovery.


More final Thursday forgotten music over at Scott Parker's Blog HERE

No comments: