Thursday, August 26, 2010

forgotten music: The Groovie Ghoulies ‘World Contact Day”



In the summer of 1996 I was killing time between having had my college graduation and completing the internship that would give me that last credit I needed. I had moved home and was working as a minimum wage security guard 4 days a week. I spent the rest of the days at a coffee shop/ record in the next town over. It was called Vinyl Joes and my buddy Matt owned it. I would drink coffee, hang out, BS, listen to music generally pass the time.

Music was in flux at that moment, the Alternative Nation Days of the early 90’s were one their way out (in fact the Screaming Tress album Dust came out that summer, it’s your basic requiem for the Seattle/ Grunge scene), but young people had discovered that underground music was out there, that it was as good if not better than what was being shoveled by mainstream radio and the apocalypse of the 1996 Telecom act was yet to destroy more than we could have expected.

It was at this point that the Groovie Ghoulies released their 3rd album, World Contact Day. A short blast of Ramonesy garage punk clocking in at around a half hour, it carries all the energy and fun that a band with a name like the Groovie Ghoulies implies. This was my introduction to the band, who I would get to see live about a dozen times before they called it quits, and over those years I got friendly with the lead singer Kepi (who is still touring and recording today).

Here is the track list, I would point out that it includes 2 cover tunes, see if you can pick them out.

Tracklist:
1. Intro World Contact Day
2. Hello Again
3. Bring Her Back
4. Running With Bigfoot
5. Island of Pogo Pogo
6. When the Kids Go Go Go Crazy
7. Lonely Heart Blues
8. Ghoulies Are Go!
9. 50,000 Spaceships (Watching Over Me)
10. Singing the Blues
11. New England
12. Punk Pt. II
13. Outro World Contact Day

Thoughts, comments, ect….

No comments: