Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Mouse in the Mountain


The Mouse in the Mountain
I heard about Norbert Davis on the In for Questioning Podcast (http://inforquestioning.blogspot.com/), and was looking for the book, Sally’s in the Alley, which was recommended by the Podcast (I think it was the Christa Faust episode)… and this was the only book by Davis in the Melcat system (which is the inter library loan system here in Michigan).. so it’s a fast- short- pulpy read. The story takes place in a mountain town in Mexico, where a bus of tourists have arrived, all looking for something different. Quickly there is a couple of murders, and Detective Doan and his dog Carstairs are in the middle of it. Over all there isn’t much to the story, aside from some quick deduction, some snappy dialog and some humor. Most of it’s kinda on the cheesy side, but since the book was written in the early ‘40’s not all of it had become a cliché yet. I enjoyed reading the book, and it moved along nicely. I don’t know that I am going to go all out to find a copy of Sally’s in the Alley, but if I were to stumble across one, I’d give it a read.

No comments: