Saturday, August 9, 2008

Kick ass and explore.


Go Go Girls of the Apocalypse by Victor Gischler

I grew up with the promise that the world was going to end in my life time, that some one was going to drop the bomb…. And it scared me, and then it thrilled me, but mostly it got me to watch a whole bunch of bad after the bomb flicks, and read a shelf full of Post Apocalypse book… ok not all of them were bad, but by the time I was 25 I had my fill…. And the USSR was done and pretty much we seemed to be out of the woods.. It’s safe to say that for the last ten or so years I didn’t need to read any more of these kinds of book… but I was glad that I picked up Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse.. it’s a fun fast paced little satirical adventure. The story follow Mortimer Tate and unlikely survivor of the end of civilization as we know it, who comes out of hiding after 9 years to find the world changes, and because he was holed up waiting and had a stash of stuff…. He’s a relatively rich man. He stumbles through a whole set of adventures, many of which pay homage to the best of the Post Apocalypse stories of the past…. Including in theme. Of all of those works this one most closely draws on the theme of David Brin’s The Postman (yes the book that the bad Kevin Costner flick was based on)… in that Mortimer and his crew on some level realize that society really need to have lines of connection and supply to continue…. And that there is something to be said about local people and small operators taking care of what needs to be done… anyway, I enjoyed the book a lot, as it was witty, funny and never got bogged down. I especially liked the one and a half pages that tell the story of how Jack Daniels stayed in business after the end…

No comments: