Thursday, January 1, 2009

12/2008 Playlist

12/2008 Playlist

Each month, since Feb of 2006, I start a playlist in my iTunes of the tunes that catch my ear that month. I started off writing a post to my Mog page with a short review or comments of each track, not only to keep a running diary for myself, but also to hopefully point others toward these tunes. In the last several months I have started to cross post this information on other sites where I keep blogs. (If you are reading this somewhere besides Mog, you can find all the old ones at www.mog.com/iren)  I want to apologies for any weird formatting stuff right here and now, I type this in MS word and then post it on these various message places, some of which have…w ell formatting issues….

Anyway for this month here is what caught my ear…


Dr. Woofenstein 

by The Damned

www.officialdamned.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Damned


This is from the new Damned record which I am still getting into and enjoyng.  This song just caught my ear, it's a little on the slow side tempo wise, but there is just something in the hook that caught in my brain. This video is not the best, but it will give you the idea what the song sounds like. 


Fight Fire With Fire
Shotgun Blues 
by Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan 
www.myspace.com/isobelcampbel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobel_Campbell


Copperhead Road 
by Steve Earle 
www.steveearle.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Earle

The best video I could find is @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc86_Weoye0 (The Embedding disabled by request) but once again this song was rattling around in my head this month.


The Ballad of Thunder Road
by  Robert Mitchum 
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mitchum


Robert Mitchum wasn't a great singer, but this was the theme for the movie that is referenced in the Steve Earle above and is an interesting companion piece to Copperhead Road


Greetings From Shitsville 
by  The Wildhearts 
www.thewildhearts.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wildhearts

Ever wonder what it would sound like if you mixed power pop vocals and heavy metal riffing..... wonder no more the Wildhearts have build a sound and a following on just  that idea.

Thoughts, comments, spare change.





2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hey Iren-I wonder if you care to contribute a brief review of a "forgotten book" for my blog project-http://pattinase.blogspot.com
It's been going for eight months now. I'm looking for late Jan. early February. If you check the archives you can get an idea of what it's about. Repeats are fine.

Iren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.