Friday, March 13, 2009

FFCD? My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult- Hit and Run Holiday

It is in fact a Forgotten Friday Books, Friday off…. Only I feel I need to post something…..

Forgotten Music (I don’t want to say album cause it’s not an LP, or CD because they are dead… )

My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult- Hit and Run Holiday.

My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult (who I will just call MLWTTKK from now on) were one of those weird 90s bands who had one radio hit, and because they were a fusion of to many things never seemed to get a foot hold in the main stream. Their hit was Sex on Wheels (if that isn’t an Orrie Hitt title I don’t know what is) was from the film Cool World and was a dancy-dark-alt-rock- tune that was fun…. And gained MLWTTKK some fans… I wasn’t one of them.

A couple of years later they returned with an album called Hit and Run Holiday, a concept album that tells the story of a Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! type weekend. Musically it’s shimmering 60s dance pop with touches of goth, garage rock, and most dreaded of all… disco… but for some reason it worked for me. It was like a sleazy 60s girls, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, to hell with the square world ride. I find it to be a fun, accessible and respectful retro look at the kids of stories I have mentioned.

I hope that out there somewhere is a 30 something middle class Mom (like any of those still exgist) who drops her kids off at school each morning and then plays this album in the solitude of her mini-van and thinks back to her so-so wild days back in the 90s.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I'd need a wild group back in the sixties to pull this off.

Iren said...

If you were around the D in the 60s I suspect that the Quatro sisters might have been ideal running mates for the kind of weekend that MLWTTKK were talking about.