Monday, August 18, 2008

It’s all in the set up

First of all…. I love that cover, if there Hard Case was offering posters of these covers, this would be on my short list of my faves…. It’s perfect in it’s evocation of the danger, sexiness and intrigue of the mystery…. And it’s the best part of the book…. The book, it’s fine, it’s solid, it’s the set up for Ms. Tree story, it’s what in the comic book biz (where Ms. Tree started off) is know as reboot… I have to say that the twist at the end…I saw it coming, I figured it out real early. I don’t think this was a bad book, it was just incredibly eh? Ms. Tree was well defined, and her story was set up well… and I hope that we get another Ms. Tree prose work that steps out from the shadow of having to set up her story and let her flex her character muscles. You need something to pass a trip, a plane flight (I read the bulk of this in the car during a recent road trip), it’s fine.

No comments: