Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Training

So this is going to be a short one... I really need to get to bed cause I have to be a work early.... speaking if which, I have been training for the last several days, reading the rules and reg, getting used to the new workplace and figuring everything out. It's still strange to think that I have this job, after looking for so long and after having more than a couple of close calls... and getting worried as my part time gigs started cutting back on hours. I will write a little more about by new job as time goes on.. but I just wanted to take a moment to talk about something that's been on my mind...

The work week. Simply this 8 hour work day is out dated and really leaves many people with out enough time to live their lives.. however there is a solution, it's either the 6 hour work day or the 10 hour work day. Either you can get your time done in fewer days, or have less hours. Now, it's not for everyone or for every job, but I really believe that this is a idea that needs to be looked at.

Once upon a time I did work a job that had 10 hour shifts, I was part time (sort of, I received the same pay and the benefits as the full time staff), it was great. I worked 3 shifts a week and I was done, unless there was overtime and then I could work another shift and get a days pay, and when I left that job the staffing was such that there was a lot of overtime and I was working 6 days a week and making time and a half for all those extra hours. I look at the 10 hour shift like this, you have all ready committed most of your day to work, and an extra two hours isn't all that much... and when you get an extra day off each week, it's all that much better...

On the other end of this idea is the six hour work day. Really this would be great, and there have been cases where companies found that productivity was such that you could pay your staff that was working only 30 hours a week the same that you were paying them when they were working 40 hours a week. The story that I have always heard was that when the Great Depression was on, that one of those Michigan cereal companies started to have 4 six hour shifts in place of the 3 eight hour shifts so that they could employ a whole additional shift of people, and that they were so productive that they were able to pay workers the same that they had with the eight hour shifts... add to this most American workers say that they would give up a days pay for a day off, and we could help solve so much of the time crunch that people are feeling.

As with the idea of the Salary Cap, the extended or shortened work day is one of my new favorite ideas that companies should look at to help out not only themselves, but the country.....
Speaking of the Salary Cap, did anyone else notice that Congress recently held hearing about the pay of top CEOs? I didn't hear all that much, just that they were noting that it was getting insane that these people are making millions while the companies that they are charged with leading are losing millions. I have always thought that if the company isn't making money then the people at the top shouldn't be receiving anything beyond their pay check, and if people at the bottom are being asked to take a cut in pay or benefits so should the people at the top.... this isn't something that the should be required by law, but out law makers should issue a public plea that large companies start cutting back on the top pay and increasing the pay of workers at the lower levels... but that isn't going to happen as long as we live in the greed is good world of the USA...


No on the road this time... maybe next time.

No comments: