Wednesday, March 26, 2008

40 hours

I have let this blog slack a little and I am sorry about that. One of the worst things about the 40 hour work week, is that it takes, well 40 hours out of your week. Just stop and think about that for a moment.... 8 hours... no more like 8 and a half or 9 hours, depending on the lunch break set up. That's a good chunk of the day, that is an investment of your time, of your energy and your brain. Even with jobs that may not seem to be that taxing can take their toll. You show up, you do what you are being paid to do, or you do your best to look busy, and then all those hours later you leave.... who came up with this system? Why is it still the standard? really? Now I am happy to have a job and a regular paycheck and the benefits, let me be clear about that, but I'm open to having a less standard schedule. Back when I first moved back to Michigan I interviewed for a job that I was shocked to not get past the first interview with... one of the elements of that job was that they had a schedule where you worked 36 hours one week, and 44 the next, so that you were working 80 hours for the pay period, but four of those hours were built in overtime... bumping the pay up that extra bit. All those hours, it's kinda crazy when you stop and think about it, and our world just buys into it for the most part....

On the Road. Well it's starting to warm up, and there are a few more places that I would want to check out before it becomes to hot to be in the south. One of them is Albuquerque New Mexico. I don't know why, it's just one of those places, like Idaho, that has called to me, whispering for me to come and visit to come and see. I am not sure what there is to see, but it's a college town, and it's got an art community that I would like to check out... and there is also Santa Fe, another American city that I would like to walk the streets, poke around the book shops, drink coffee and eat the local fare. New Mexico is also the a easy way to get to Colorado, which is where I think that I would visit next.......

No comments: