Thursday, November 19, 2009

FFB- Donald Westlake short stories.

FFB: The Curious Facts Preceding My Execution by Donald E. Westlake
Rolling along with my Short Story Month, I have been reading The Curious Facts Preceding My Execution by Donald Westlake. It contains the expected assortment of Westlake crime stories. I have read about half of them, and can recommend not only the title story, but all of the others I've read. I don't know what I can say about Westlake that hasn't been said, he knew how to tell a story (or not see No Story in this collection). The title story is one of the best. A put upon husband is ready to get rid of his wife, who over spends his money. He takes care of her only to be interrupted by door to door sales, phone sales and sales people with appointments. It's an indictment of the consumer society, wrapped in a story that wouldn't have been out of place in one of those twilight zone like shows that floated around prime time TV in the 1980s.

Any way, if you want to get a taste of Westlake this should fit the bill.

2 comments:

Evan Lewis said...

I like Westlake, but some of his novels try to stretch a joke too far. This could be the perfect book for me.

Iren said...

Evan: I hear you, I have only read a few of the Humorous Westlake books, and enjoyed them, but I can see how they might wear thin. This collection on the other hand gives those observations and ideas just the right amount of time.