Monday, January 1, 2024

Welcome to 2024

 hey look... it is Jan 1, 2024 and this blog that I started way way back in 2007? (I didn't look) is still live and I am posting.... 

so this started as me looking for work.. and I am on my 3rd job since the start of this thing.... 



anyway, most of what I care to post about has been related to books, music and films... but the last couple of years I have returned to one of my early Pop Culture loves... Comic Books.. and I do mean Comic Books as in Floppies, single issues,  the kind that when I started following them were $0.60 a issue and you could buy at the Drug Store......... 

anyway.. most of my on line stuff is me posting my comic pick ups on Tic Tok... 

but for anyone that still looks at this blog... here are a few of the comics from the past year that I really did enjoy... 

IDW Endless Summer Dungeons & Dragons: Saturday Morning Adventures #1 - this is more what I wanted from the series, but didn't get... just a better than it needed to be single issue... IDW.. more of this please

I Am Stan By Tom Scioli - the ideal yang to  Scioli’s  Jack Kirby: The Epic Life of the King of Comics this is a great look at the life of Stan Lee without rose colored glasses…. here is hoping that we get more Scioli going bios of comic creators who impacted the form… 

Danger Street #9

I really liked this issue that is a single fight and a lot of talking.. it worked for me…. 


Usagi Yojimbo: Ice and Snow #3

Usagi is always good.. but this issue was one of the best…. the showdown between the antagonists really worked and was creepy in a way that I don’t expect from Usagi…. really great comics… 


Ain’t It Fun: Peter Laughner & Proto-Punk in the Secret City ... I am still reading this one... but it is easily my fave comic/OGN of the year...if you are a fan of punk, comics or the Rust Belt art scene of the 70s/80s check it out. 


shout outs: 

GI Joe- both Duke #1 and GI Joe: ARAH #301 & #302 

Birds of Prey

Santos Sisters

Parker Girls

Exciting Comics, Horror Comics, Planet Comics from Antarctic Press

The Amazing Spider-Man #121 & #122 Facsimile Editions

all books/ series I enjoyed this year.... 



No comments: