Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III

Roman Coppla’s follow up to CQ, A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III is a film that has been wrongly vilified. It’s not perfect, but it’s nowhere near as horrible and unwatchable as some would have you believe.

What’s it about? Read the title, it’s about the mind and anxieties of Charles Swan III as he processes his most recent break up.  Charlie Sheen plays Swan and he is hit and miss and might be the weakest link in the film. There are moments when he’s clicking and moments when he’s not.  The rest of the cast was solid to great.  Props to Jason SchwartzmanBill MurrayKatheryn WinnickPatricia ArquetteAubrey Plaza for their supporting roles.

I loved the dream/fantasy sequences that’s where the film shines, Coppola has a great kinetic eye for moving the camera through great artful sets. The lighting is a little off here and there, but that’s not a huge problem for me.  I did dig the art, the music and the feel of the film.


Overall I give it a solid B- and I know that I will likely pick up a copy on Bluray for my collection. All that said, it seems like each year there is one film that everyone hates that I like, last year it was Ironsky.. this year, Charles Swan III is it for me...

No comments: