Aside from Singles, no soundtrack in the early 90s showcased hard rock, metal and alternative music better than The Crow. Finding music to fill out the apocalyptic vision of the motor city in it’s post job creator downfall was a challenge that met by bringing in the harder edge of the burgeoning Alternative music scene.
Mixing cover tunes and originals the sounds present vary from heavy to sweet, primitive to refined. In many ways the soundtrack is a Rosetta stone of the music of the era, with Stone Temple Pilots (with the Big Empty being a hit track of time), and Rage Against the Machine adding their heavy anger and groove to the mix and of course you couldn’t have a dark soundtrack of the time without the Nine Inch Nails.
I had almost forgotten about Jane Siberry and her angelic anthem for the film that closes out the sound track, It Can’t Rain All The Time. It’s a haunting number that I am sure will send those of us who once lived with this soundtrack back to a moment, to a place where someone was saying that all this darkness will end sometime and some place.
1. "Burn" - The Cure (Robert Smith, Simon Gallup, Boris Williams, Perry Bamonte) – 6:39
2. "Golgotha Tenement Blues" - Machines of Loving Grace (Scott Benzel, Mike Fisher, Stuart Kupers, Brad Kemp) – 4:01
3. "Big Empty" - Stone Temple Pilots (Dean DeLeo, Scott Weiland) – 4:56
4. "Dead Souls" - Nine Inch Nails (Joy Division) – 4:54
5. "Darkness" - Rage Against the Machine (Rage Against the Machine) – 3:41
6. "Color Me Once" - Violent Femmes (Gordon Gano, Brian Ritchie) – 4:09
7. "Ghostrider" - Rollins Band (Suicide)(Martin Rev, Alan Vega) – 5:45
8. "Milktoast" (also known as "Milquetoast") - Helmet (Page Nye Hamilton) – 3:59
9. "The Badge" - Pantera (Poison Idea) – 3:54*
10. "Slip Slide Melting" - For Love Not Lisa (For Love Not Lisa) – 5:47
11. "After the Flesh" - My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult (Buzz McCoy, Groovie Mann) – 2:59
12. "Snakedriver" - The Jesus and Mary Chain (William Reid, Jim Reid) – 3:41
13. "Time Baby III" - Medicine (Jim Goodall, Brad Laner, Jim Putnam, Ed Ruscha, Beth Thompson) – 3:52
14. "It Can't Rain All the Time" - Jane Siberry (Graeme Revell, Jane Siberry) – 5:34