Thursday, November 11, 2010

FFB: Impossibly Funky: A Cashiers du Cinemart Collection Ed Mike White

Recently I have been tripping through the undiscovered [by me at least] past. Inspired by blogs like House of Self-Indulgence, Podcasts like The Gentlemen’s Guide to Midnight Cinema, The books of Hard Case Crime and a pile of punk rock and oi! Reissues I think that I am set for a while in feeding my information addiction.

All this is the say that this weeks forgotten Friday book isn’t a older book, but, well a new book that is a collection of stuff from the past.

When I was a student back in the mid 90s at Michigan State University I hung out at a local pop culture emporium, Gen X where I bought comic books, graphic novels and magazines. I also rented videos and generally chatted with the staff about music, films and all that stuff. One of the magazines that I got in the habit of picking up was Cashier’s Du Cinemart, a somehow Michigan zine related mainly to film. I picked up issues here and there; they used to occupy shelf space with my long gone collection of Psychotronic and Shock Cinema collection. At some point I either stopped buying them or I stopped seeing them. I think it's most likely that when I left E. Lansing I no longer had a place to buy them. Somewhere along the line they seemed to all vanish; I am going to blame the purge of 2002 for that.

Anyway, the recently released Impossibly Funky: A Cashiers Du Cinemart Collection appealed to me, but not because I wanted to relive the face off between CDC main man Mike White and Quinten Tarantino about the whole City on Fire/ Reservoir Dogs thing. It was a reviewer (whom-- I don't recall) that noted there were articles about film adaptations of the works of: David Goodis, Charles Willeford, James Ellroy and the attempts to bring John D MacDonald’s Travis Magee to the screen. There was also an article called The Four and a Half Worlds of Parker, about the film Payback and the history of Richard Stark’s (Donald Westlake for those not in the know) most enduring creation in film. All of those names are of course FFB gold.

One of the magazines that I still pick up these days it the music obsessive’s dream, Ugly Things, with its yearly OD of info. There were years when I would have a headache from the overload in it’s pages and as I looked at Impossibly Funky I have a feeling that it’s going to leave my brain exploded and my body in the fetal position as I recover from the ingestion of the information, opinions and thoughts contained with in.

More Friday forgotten books over at Patti’s on line home HERE


Edited: cause my last draft just didn't cut it.

2 comments:

Mike White said...

Hope you dig it!

Evan Lewis said...

Old or not, that's a great title.